- Reply All Podcast
- Snapchat Thief
- Robocall: Bang Bang – How are robocalls able to figure out how to call you from the area code of your current location?
- Long Distance – The team investigates a phone scammer who happens to call the studio. Alex goes to meet the scammer in India.
Privacy/security and ease of use are opposing forces.
Social Media and Bayesian Networks
Cambridge Analytic – very targeted advertising
Facebook’s Targeted Advertising – The trust engineers
Bayesian Network – using percentages to target users
- Google’s Recaptia
- Facebook’s 10-year challenge
- Genetic Testing – Shared with FBI
- Internet without Google, Amazon, Facebook, Apple, & Microsoft – Life without the Tech Giants
- Your phone is talking without your knowledge – Tracking my phones’s silent connections
How to protect yourself
- Browsers: Mozilla Firefox
- Google Chrome & Chrome based browsers send metrics back to Google
- Microsoft is planning on migrating to Chrome engine.
- Search Engine – DuckDuckGo
- Can use “bangs” to specialize searches
- Use pop-up and cookie blockers
- Privacy Badger from EFF
- uBlock Origin
- Password Manager
- E-mail – Proton mail
- Free version up to 500 MB
- Up to 150 e-mails per day
- Setting up 2-Factor Authentication
- Google authentication
- Can do text-but what if phone stolen
- Some services don’t do 2FA
- Use a VPN service
- 33 Mail – allows you to sign up for anonymous and disposable e-mail
- Paying for Pro version allows setting up your own domain
- Namecheap– runs sales on domains, low as $1/year
- Proton Mail – $48/2-years pro version allows you to set up aliases
- Yubi Key – Physical key for 2FA
- IntelTechniques – Michael Bazzell from the podcast
- Bazzell’s workbook for hiding from the internet.
- Have I been Pwned to see if you’ve been in a breach
- PasteBin search utility